The Law Centre offers a specialist welfare benefits service to people living or working in Hackney only.
We can advise and assist you to understand the complex process of claiming benefits.
Where appropriate, we may be able to represent you at the First Tier Tribunal.
We offer initial advice through our telephone advice line and we provide advice about some of the following issues that arise:
- I have received a letter saying my benefit has stopped – what can I do?
- I have been asked to attend a medical by the DWP – what advice can you give?
- I have been told I am fit to work – What can I do?
- I have been told I have been paid too much benefit in the past. Do I have to pay it back?
- My application for Disability Living Allowance has been refused. How can I challenge this?
- My daughter has asthma is there any financial help I can get?
- The bailiffs have wrote to me and said they are coming to remove my household goods – can they do this?
In April 2013, the Government made major changes to the welfare benefits scheme. There were several changes and the impact upon you will depend on your personal circumstances. Read more about the changes HERE.
Please also find some helpful information on how Universal Credit will affect people subject to the Spare Room Subsidy ('the bedroom tax') HERE.
If you think the Law Centre might be able to help you we would ask that you contact our telephone advice line.
You can also receive help to complete Employment Support Allowance (ESA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), and Disability Living Allowance (for children) application forms:
HCLC’s ESA, PIP, and DLA form filling service at Dalston CLR James Library. To access the service, people who live or work in Hackney must call 020 7633 4531 and leave their name and contact telephone number. A law student from BPP will then call back during office hours to gather more detailed information about the query. If suitable, an appointment may be made for the person seeking help.
You can also visit free form filling sessions at some local Hackney GP surgeries – provided by the Health Information Advice Consortium (HIAC). Download a leaflet.